Monday, November 14, 2011

Thoughts on Sacred Performance

Jim Brickman and Jon Schmidt are composers who play hymns the way they are supposed to be played - meditative, worshipful, and appropriate.
I truly respect a pianist who aims to draw peoples' eyes to the Lord, and away from the pianist himself. Partially because I know how difficult this task is.
As a congregational hymnplayer for 2+ years, I have discovered that there is a tough line between stylistic artistry and appropriate worshipfulness. Within the time that I've played for Church, I have often found myself getting so wrapped up in the sound I'm producing that I forget all about the point of what I'm playing! This is quite a detriment to the duty as a minister for worship.
Christian musicians are told to play skillfully (Psalm 33:3), but not in a way that pulls the listeners' attention away from the words of the song.
The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise him. Psalm 28:7
Music is such a wonderful medium for worship, and if you have it, you are a very blessed person! Utilizing this art to its potential means keeping a worshipful, reverent, pure heart toward God. If you have this kind of heart, the overflow will pour into your worship.

Below, I have included some examples of hymns that bless my heart. I think they are very stylistically appropriate, and I hope they bless your heart too. May we continue to endeavor to bring glory to the Lord through the musical talent He has given us :)








BUY:

Jon Schmidt: Hymns Without Words

Jim Brickman: Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment