Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Few Biblical references to music

Music is is referenced many times throughout the Scriptures. Over 1150 verses in the Bible reference a form of the following words: music, melody, song, hymn, instrument, sound, play, blow, noise, psalm, harp, lyre, timbrel, trumpet, horn, voice.
Here are just a few of my favorites!

Instrumental Praise to God


Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise. 5 Sing unto the LORD with the harp; with the harp, and the voice of a psalm. 6 With trumpets and sound of cornet make a joyful noise before the LORD, the King. Psalm 97:4-6

I will also praise thee with the psaltery, even thy truth, O my God: unto thee will I sing with the harp, O thou Holy One of Israel. Psalm 71:22

My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise. Awake up, my glory; awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early. Psalm 57:7-9

The LORD was readyto save me: therefore we will sing my songs to the stringed instruments all the days of our life in the house of the LORD. Is. 38:20

O God, my heart is fixed; I will sing and give praise, even with my glory. Awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early.  I will praise thee, O LORD, among the people: and I will sing praises unto thee among the nations. Psalm 108:1-3

Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings.
 Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise. Psalm 33:2-3

I will sing a new song unto thee, O God: upon a psaltery and an instrument of ten strings will I sing praises unto thee. Psalm 144:9

Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.
Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD. Psalm 150:1-6



Vocal Praise to God


 Sing, O daughter of Zion; shout, O Israel; be glad and rejoice with all the heart, O daughter of Jerusalem. Zephaniah 3:14

Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the LORD, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea. 2 The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father’s God, and I will exalt him. Exodus 15:1-2


 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high. Psalm 7:17


 Be thou exalted, LORD, in thine own strength: so will we sing and praise thy power. Psalm 21:13


 Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah. Psalm 32:7


O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation.
 Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms. Psalm 95:1-2

I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me. Psalm 13:6

Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms. James 5:13

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. Colossians 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment